temperatures in Salt Lake City, Utah for seven days straight
large wildfires are currently burning across the American West
years since North Texas has seen this level of ozone pollution
- Tropical Storm Claudette produced at least seven confirmed tornadoes over the weekend.
- There were three tornadoes in Mississippi, two in Alabama, and one each in Georgia and North Carolina all on Saturday or Sunday.
- Another storm in Florala, Alabama, measured at 80 mph and had a path that stretched 0.6 on Saturday.
- Three small tornadoes were confirmed on the Mississippi Gulf Coast between midnight and dawn Saturday.
- In southwest Georgia, a confirmed tornado stretched for 30 miles from north of Blakeley to north of Cuthbert with 100 MPH winds.
- On Sunday, a weak tornado touched down near Somerset, North Carolina with top winds estimated at 75 mph and caused mostly tree damage along its 2.5-mile path.
- Claudette caused strong winds ranging from 60 to 80 MPH in Pensacola, Florida, with Pensacola International Airport recording a wind gust of 81 MPH.
- All 21 New Jersey counties were under a severe thunderstorm watch as of Monday evening as Tropical Storm Claudette passes the northeastern part of the Atlantic Ocean.
- The thunderstorms were expected to bring heavy downpours, lightning, and wind gusts over 60 MPH.
- A tropical wave several miles east of the Windward Islands is unlikely to develop any further as of Wednesday morning.
- No other storms are expected to develop within 48 hours in the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea or Atlantic as of Wednesday morning
- There are currently 44 large wildfires active across AZ, CA, CO, FL, MT, NV, NM, and UT. Nationally, 519,761 acres have burned so far this year.
- President Joe Biden is set to meet with Western governors next week regarding heat, drought and wildfire preparations in the West.
Number Of Active Fires: 14
- The Rafael Fire, located 16 miles southwest of Flagstaff, has burned 24,000 acres and was 0% contained as of Tuesday morning.
- Should the fire continue to grow, officials are looking at protection for structures including the East Pocket Lookout and Turkey Butte Lookout.
- The Telegraph Fire, near Globe, has burned 180,865 acres and was 87% contained as of Wednesday morning.
- Areas ordered for evacuation included Dripping Springs, Wind Spirit, Hagen Ranch, Slash S Ranch and Government Springs as of Wednesday morning.
- The Backbone Fire, located near Strawberry has burned 32,757 acres with unknown containment as of Wednesday morning.
Number Of Active Fires: 7
- 7 fires continued to burn in California on Tuesday.
- The Cow Fire in Shasta County has burned through 761 acres and was 65% contained as of Tuesday night.
- The Inyo Creek Fire in the Inyo National Forest has burned through about 410 acres and was 0% contained as of Tuesday morning.
- The Willow Fire in Monterey County has burned through 3,000 acres and was 0% contained as of Monday evening.
Number Of Active Fires: 5
- In Colorado, the Sylvan Lake Fire in Sylvan Lake State Park grew to more than 3,359 acres with unknown containment by Tuesday night.
- The fire threatens an Xcel power line and the watersheds for the towns of Eagle and Gypsum.
- The Oil Springs Fire in Rio Blanco County burned through 7,395 acres and had unknown containment as of Tuesday evening.
- The West Fire in Moffat County burned through 3,100 acres and had unknown containment as of Tuesday evening.
- Lightning on Bureau of Land Management land is suspected to be the cause of the blaze.
Number Of Active Fires: 1
Number Of Active Fires: 4
- The Robertson Draw Fire, near Red Lodge, grew to 29,601 acres burned and was 53% contained as of Tuesday morning.
- All the Custer Gallatin National Forest System lands south of Point of Rocks in the Rock Creek drainage were still closed as of Tuesday morning.
- The Deep Creek Fire, burning southwest of Helena, burned 4,648 acres and was 75% contained as of Tuesday afternoon.
- The fire has cost more than $3.5 million so far to fight.
Number Of Active Fires: 1
Number Of Active Fires: 4
Number Of Active Fires: 2
- The Warm Springs Fire, located 10 miles north of Simnasho, has burned 6,200 acres and was 10% contained as of Monday night.
- 250 structures and homes are threatened by the fire
- The Cutoff Fire, located in Klamath County has burned 1,150 acres and was 23% contained as of Tuesday night.
- Out of 125 structures threatened by the fire, 20 outbuildings and two homes have been destroyed as of Tuesday night.
Number Of Active Fires: 6
- Salt Lake City, UT, has banned personal fireworks and open fires due to drought extreme fire danger.
- The Flatt Fire, located near Beryl, has burned 14,379 acres and was 57% contained as of Monday evening.
- The Pack Creek Fire, located south of Moab, has burned 8,952 acres and is 66% contained as of Monday evening.
- It has cost $7.8 million so far to fight as of Tuesday evening.
- California is using technology, including clean energy microgrids and self-generation back-up power systems, to avoid rolling blackouts and ensure power grid reliability.
- An excessive heat watch has been issued for parts of Oregon and Washington state this weekend.
- North Texas saw its worst day of ozone pollution in 14 years last week.
- The Salt Lake City Airport recorded its seventh 100+ degree day on Tuesday.
New Reports and Data
- A study published in June 2021found that climate change and urban sprawl has been driving up both the economic and human cost of wildfires in California.