ICYMI: Speaker Pelosi and Leader Schumer Join Members of Congress to Stress Urgent Need for Bold Climate Action
At a press conference hosted by Climate Power and the League of Conservation Voters (LCV), Congressional leaders discussed the immediate need for transformational investments in climate, jobs, and justice and the need to cut our emissions by at least 50% by 2030 and put our nation fully on the path to 100% clean electricity.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Sen. Ben Ray Luján (NM), House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis Chair Kathy Castor (FL-14), Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester (DE-AL), Rep. Mike Levin (CA-49), Rep. Melanie Stansbury (NM-01), the National Wildlife Federation’s Mustafa Santiago Ali (also a member of the Climate Power Advisory Board), and LCV’s Tiernan Sittenfeld joined this conversation on the urgency needed to invest in climate, clean energy, justice, and jobs now.
Key quotes from today’s press conference below:
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi: “It is imperative we get this job done and we fully intend to do it — for the children, for the planet, for the future.”
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer: “I will not pass an infrastructure package that does not reduce carbon pollution at a scale commensurate with the urgency of the climate crisis we face, plain and simple.”
- Sen. Ben Ray Luján (NM): “We cannot let up, we have to meet this moment because Americans are counting on us.”
- House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis Chair Kathy Castor (FL-14): “We are tired of waiting around — we don’t have time to waste.”
- Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester (DE-AL): “I know for decades we’ve been given the false choice that it’s either jobs or the climate, but as my colleagues have already stated, it’s both. We must be bold. We must be brave.Our investment must be big enough to meet the challenge of our generation and the generations to come.”
- Rep. Melanie Stansbury (NM-01): “I was elected to come here to Washington to ensure that we take climate action now. Because the future of our communities depends on it.”
- Rep. Mike Levin (CA-49): “Sometimes I hear about the ‘costs’ of action, but these are ‘investments. We invest in climate action today or we pay the consequences tomorrow.”
WATCH the event recording to hear their powerful calls for action.