More than One Million People will Take Climate Action This Summer with Over 500 Events Across the Country Calling on Congress to #ActonClimate
Events will be hosted by a broad coalition of groups in support of equitably building a nation powered by clean energy
WASHINGTON, DC — More than 100 organizations from across the climate movement will host over 500 events over August recess to show the broad support for climate action and the profound benefits of building a nation powered by clean energy. Event organizers expect more than one million people to be mobilized over recess with calls on Congress to invest in clean energy jobs and take immediate climate action.
Communities across the nation are demanding Congress act boldly on climate this year. Polling from Climate Power and Data for Progress shows strong support for advancing a bill that makes the investments we need to equitably put our clean energy economy into hyperdrive and build a nation powered by clean energy. As extreme weather batters communities across the country, demand for action will only grow.
BlueGreen Alliance, Clean Energy for America, Climate Action Campaign, Climate Power, Climate Reality, EDF Action, the Green New Deal Network, League of Conservation Voters, Moms Clean Air Force, Sierra Club and many other organizations have events planned over August Recess. These actions include community members knocking on tens of thousands of doors, events with administration officials, town halls and clean energy tours with members of congress and business leader round tables.
This summer’s events will highlight how clean energy is cutting pollution that’s fueling extreme weather, reducing energy costs, building a more resilient grid, putting people to work, and bringing justice to communities on the frontlines of the climate crisis.
Here is a short sampling of the kind of events happening this summer across the country:
- Let’s Get Rolling Electric School Bus Tour: Moms Clean Air Force is hitting the road this summer for their Summer 2021 “Let’s Get Rolling” electric school bus tour calling on Congress to #ActNow to accelerate the transition to cleaner and less-polluting transportation, and protect children’s health. Participants have included elected officials, local business owners, medical professionals and other community leaders. The events are being produced in partnership with the Climate Action Campaign and others. Check out Let’s Get Rolling events planned on August 10 in Las Vegas Nevada and Tucson Arizona on August 11. For more information contact Lauren Lantry, [email protected], or Sasha Tenenbaum, [email protected].
- League of Conservation Voters Canvass Operation: Organizers in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are going door to door canvassing to engage with LCV members, local activists, and local businesses to pledge support for these issues and display “Climate Action Now” signs in their neighborhoods and businesses. The program is operating in 15 offices with close to 100 staff across the country. For more information, contact Emily Samsel, [email protected].
- EDF Action Hosts Lehigh Valley’s Clean Energy Future: Tuesday, August 10th, from 8am-10am at ArtsQuest at the SteelStacks, EDF Action’s Pennsylvania Climate Team will discuss how to continue making the Lehigh Valley, and Pennsylvania as a whole, more committed to climate justice and a leader in clean energy and clean transportation jobs. Details can be found here. For more information contact Hannah Blatt, [email protected].
- Climate Power and LCV highlight clean energy and climate jobs: Climate Power and the League of Conservation Voters have planned over two dozen press events across the country to underscore that the climate crisis is here and our country has the workforce to fix it. Marquee events are planned in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, New Hampshire and New Jersey. For more information contact Jason Phelps, [email protected] or [email protected]
- “Seal the Deal” National Day of Action August 19: The Green New Deal Network is organizing dozens of grassroots events on Thursday, August 19 with a message that it is time for Congress to finally Seal the Deal and deliver on Climate Jobs and Care Jobs. Organizers will push Democrats to deliver, hold Republicans opposing action accountable, and thank our champions in Congress who have been at the forefront of advocating for GNDN’s Thrive Priorities, including clean public transit, passenger rail, lead pipes replacement, care jobs, and high-road labor and environmental standards. For more information contact Nick Berning, [email protected].
- The Electric Vehicle Experience – Detroit: “The Electric Vehicle Experience” is an event that is designed to showcase our clean energy future. EDF Action’s Michigan Climate Team has partnered with NextEnergy and Tech Town Detroit to host an EV focused event on the grounds of Wayne State University. Additional details can be found here. For more information contact Hannah Blatt, [email protected].
- Hear the Call – Go Big On Climate: Interfaith organizations such as Dayenu and Green Muslims are planning events across the country. Dayenu: A Jewish Call to Climate Action is organizing volunteer and partner-led public actions during August congressional recess – some Jewish, some multi-faith – offering Senators the support, courage, and moral clarity to pass big and bold infrastructure and recovery legislation that delivers jobs, justice, and game-changing action on climate. In Colorado in late- August, the Colorado Jewish Community in preparation for Rosh Hashanah, will call Senators to pass a big, bold recovery that puts us on track for a livable future. Details can be found here.
- Paddle & Post Cards! Lansing River Clean Up & Federal Advocacy Outing: Michigan’s Sierra Club Chapter is hosting a river paddle in Lansing, Michigan on August 22, followed by a joint postcard writing exercise to reach out to voters in the state’s 8th district. Additional details found HERE.
- #ACTNow on Climate Canvass: The Climate Action Campaign (CAC) is driving two congruent canvassing efforts in key districts. CAC’s small business climate canvass is on the ground in OR-04, PA-07, PA-08, WI-03, and ME-02 building support with over 1,000 businesses signing petitions and posting window signs supporting the #ACTNow campaign calling on Congress to support big, bold climate investments. Additionally, Environment America, in partnership with CAC, is running a climate street canvass in Arizona (office in Phoenix with a focus on AZ-01) and Georgia (office in Atlanta with a focus on GA-06, GA-07, GA-05) collecting over 40,000 petition signatures supporting big bold climate investments. For more information contact Lauren Lantry, [email protected]
If you’re a reporter who wants to attend one of these events, please reach out to the press contact listed with each event or reach out to [email protected] for additional information about upcoming August recess activity.