POTUS to Unveil New Job Creating Clean Energy Investments in South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina – Today, President Joe Biden will visit a South Carolina manufacturing plant to tout his administration’s expansion of clean energy manufacturing and unveil new investments that will create hundreds of good-paying jobs in the state. This comes just days after Science released a report showing the Biden Administration’s Inflation Reduction Act could nearly halve U.S. emissions by 2035.
A key component of Bidenomics is President Biden’s clean energy plan. Since the Inflation Reduction Act became law, clean energy projects have created more than 142,000 new jobs in 41 states across the country. In South Carolina specifically, the Inflation Reduction Act has spurred nearly $11 billion of investments in clean energy, creating more than 11,000 jobs across the Palmetto state.
Some examples of the private sector investments in South Carolina’s booming clean energy economy since the Inflation Reduction Act’s passage:
- Kontrolmatik announced a $279 million investment to build a gigafactory in South Carolina, creating 575 new jobs.
- Envision announced a $810 million investment to build a gigafactory in Florence, creating 1,170 jobs.
- Albemarle announced a $1.3 billion investment to build a lithium hydroxide production facility in Chester County, creating 1,800 jobs.
- Scout Motors announced a $2 billion investment to build a Blythewood assembly plant, creating 4,000 jobs.
- Redwood Materials announced a $3.5 billion investment to build a battery materials campus near Charleston, creating 1,500 jobs.
South Carolina is making bold moves to secure a clean energy future. Columbia, South Carolina has a goal to reach 100% clean and renewable energy by 2036. Additionally, the area has nearly 40% of its electric renewable energy workforce in wind, solar, and hydroelectric production.
Please reach out to Jasmine at [email protected] if you are interested in speaking to South Carolina leaders about the state’s clean energy economy and President Biden’s visit.